Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Time and Balance

Last night I heard on the radio that today, October 24, is Take Back Your Time Day. This is an awareness day organized by Take Back Your Time. From their website:

"TAKE BACK YOUR TIME is a major U.S./Canadian initiative to challenge the epidemic of overwork, over-scheduling and time famine that now threatens our health, our families and relationships, our communities and our environment."

I believe that this organization is on target with this mission. I find in my own life that time seems to be the most precious commodity and often do not rest as I should. I am convicted by this message. However, I believe that there could be a theological / biblical underpinning:
"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work" (Genesis 2:2, TNIV).
This verse can provide for us a model of rest and being able to know that one's work is done. Also, in John's account of the gospel of Jesus Christ, Jesus tells a story of a shepherd and sheep. Then proclaims:
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10, TNIV).
I believe that living life to the full involves living with a balanced amount of time and energy committed to that in which we are involved. In addition, living life to the full is experienced when we see and do everything out of an understanding of God and God's action in the world and in our lives. This post is written for myself before it is written for anyone else.