Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Fasting and Spiritual Disciplines

The topic of fasting was brought to my mind by Gordon in his post: "You Shall Not Live By Bread Alone". I have pursued the discipline of fasting at several times in the past. I have found that fasting is a discipline that does not necessarily produce fruit in a single instance. It takes the continued habit over a period of time. I suppose that is the purpose and meaning behind the understanding of spiritual disciplines. These are things that become a part of our life and over time become a natural part of our lives.

A resource that I have found particularly useful in both the understanding and practice of fasting and other spiritual disciplines is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. I recommend this book to those seeking a better understanding of spiritual disciplines and how they might become a part of our walk with God.