Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

How Rich are You?

A post from KC One Campaign brough my attention to the Global Rich List. I was amazed at the result. I knew in my head that myself and many people living in the developed world (even having access to a computer to read this article) are among the very richest people in the world. This graphical representation of where I fall in income among the global population was sobering. Two organizations that I know of which are working to fight global poverty are The One Campaign and Oxfam.

One of the strategic objectives at Church of the Resurrection for 2007 is: "We will inspire, equip and deploy members of the church in ministry to the community and in witness for Jesus Christ. Develop a comprehensive approach to address the root causes of poverty within our community" (The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection 2007 Strategic Objectives). I am excited to see how this objective will take shape in the year to come. I am also seeking ways that I can become more aware and active in this area in my own life.