Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Candlelight Christmas Eve - Preparation

My office at the church is just down the hall from the office work room. Every Thursday afternoon I hear the thump-thump-thump of the risograph machine churning out Sermon Notes and Study Guides and Prayer Guides for the bulletin. This week, however, production has started for Candlelight Christmas Eve bulletins and will continue through tomorrow.

19,100 bulletins are being produced for the weekend. If predictions are accurate for attendance 1 in every 100 people in the Kansas City metro area will attend a Christmas Eve service here at Resurrection. It is things like this that remind me there are many distinct things about this place - God is at work.

Regardless of numbers in a particular congregation, Christmas Eve is one of the greatest opportunities to reach unchurched people with the good news of Jesus Christ. My prayers are that people will hear again or for the first time the story of the birth of Jesus and recognize that this story is for them. This is also my prayer for myself.