Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Pray-as-you-go

It is good to get back to church from the time away during the retreat. However, whenever I return to the daily routine it seems as if there is endless catch up to accomplish. One of the things that I find that necessary and helpful is to to take a time of rest and recenter on God in the middle of the day. A daily prayer session from Pray-as-you-go has become a part of my daily routine. I subscribe with iTunes and listen through my computer. The following information is from the Pray-as-you-go website under the section "what's in it?"

A new prayer session is produced every day. It is not a 'Thought for the Day', a sermon or a bible-study, but rather a framework for your own prayer.

Lasting between ten and twelve minutes, it combines music, scripture and some questions for reflection. The aim is to help you to:
  • become more aware of God's presence in your life
  • listen to and reflect on God's word
  • grow in your relationship with God.
It is produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives, with material written by a number of British Jesuits and other experts in the spirituality of St Ignatius of Loyola.
I usually enter into this time of prayer after I finish lunch. It forces me to remember that whatever may seem pressing at the time is not as important as time with God.