Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Always Ready

This morning I visited a member of the congregation before surgery. I was a little bit later arriving to the hospital than I was hoping. I spoke with the woman behind the desk in the surgery reception area and she said that it would be a few minutes before I would be able to go back to see the member. I sat down to wait, and in a few minutes the woman came out to get me just before the member was headed into surgery. I was able to read scripture and pray with the member.

On my way out of the hospital, I realized that I had not taken time to thank the woman for making sure that I was able to visit before surgery. I went back to say thank you, and she said that she was a member of the Church of the Resurrection, where I am appointed. We had a short conversation about the church and then I went on my way.

I was surprised that she was a member of the congregation that I serve, although in a large setting I have found that it is not uncommon to not recognize members of the congregation. This brought some questions to my mind:


  • What does a Christian witness look like in every day life (grocery store, bank, etc.)?
  • As a Christian, how ready are you on a daily basis to be a and give witness to Jesus Christ?
This morning I found myself prepared for a specific interaction (pre-surgery) and not as prepared for the interaction as pastor with the woman in the reception area. I believe that Christians are all called to live our lives as witness to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in all of our interactions.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. (1 Peter 3:15, TNIV).