Everything here represents my own opinion and not the opinion of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection or the United Methodist Church.

Monday, January 08, 2007

2007 New Church Leadership Institute

This week I am attending the 2007 New Church Leadership Institute at Mt. Sequoyah in Fayetteville, Arkansas. My wife, Nicole, and I attended an interest meeting a few months ago for pastors in the Kansas Area who were interested in considering new church plants. We attended a meeting with about 8 other pastors and left with some more information and an application for more interest. I filled out the application and returned it. I heard back that I was invited to attend this conference. I am excited to learn more about what it would mean to be the pastor of a new congregation. I see this time as part of the discernment process.



A few of the goals from the published brochure:

Goals of the New Church Leadership Institute

  • Assist pastors to discern if they are called to be a church planting pastor.
  • Connect potential church planting pastors with successful church planting pastors.
  • Equip potential church planters with knowledge and skills for successful church starts.
  • Prepare pastors for a variety of New Start models, and a variety of models for leading an existing church through re-vitalization relocation, transition or merger.
I am particularly interested in the first goal - continued discernment in this area.